P1244 - Homogenous infrastructure for HotSpot scenarios
For further information please contact:
Wieblinger Weg 19/4
69123 Heidelberg, Germany
What is this Project about?
People on the move always have demands to use the same terminal every time and everywhere. They would like to use e.g. their laptops during their holidays (in busses and trains) and in the hotel resort for internet access without any reconfiguration. Services that are distributed locally and therefore cannot be used while travelling right now - for example push data services (including streaming media) via broadcast - should be accessible as usual.
The study will answer the following questions:
- How to provide broadband data from/to temporary and fixed hot spot networks in a standard and cost effective way?
- How to establish different kinds of hot spots (different cell sizes, different types of networks) in an easy way?
- How to distribute content within the hot spot networks to all kind of terminals with the same performance customers use to have?
- What is the potential in the market place for (ad hoc-) services in such kind of networks?
What are the main objectives of this Project?
The main objectives of this study are:
- To evaluate the technical feasibility of mobile and fixed hot spots feeding scenarios in consideration of:
- Development of usage scenarios
- Generation of usage scenarios and identify major business cases including value chains (e.g. WLAN providers, content providers, and network operators)
- Distribution to end user devices over WLAN, Bluetooth, DVB-T, DAB
- Feeding alternatives and future protocols (=> IPv6)
- Investigation of general deployment issues for selected Hot Spot scenarios