ICT for Smart Sustainable Cities
- ICT for smart sustainable cities in Europe - An overview
- Lighthouse solutions for urban sustainability
- Cities should be part of EU climate policy decisions
- Co-creation of smart sustainable cities
- 5G powered smart lighting in smart cities
- How Eureka Clusters keep reinventing themselves
- Next generation communications meets clean energy
- How Austria supports CELTIC-NEXT projects
- More synergies and global cooperation in Eureka
The cover theme of the magazine features the following contributions:
Today, 75% of European citizens live in cities. This percentage is expected to grow to 80% by 2050. Cities consume about two thirds of the world’s energy and are responsible for more than 70% of global man-made CO2 emissions. Thus, cities play a crucial role for reaching the European Union’s CO2 reduction goals and the UN sustainability goals. Information and communication technologies are of key importance for enabling cities to become sustainable. The concept for ICT-enabled sustainability on municipal level is called “smart sustainable cities”.
Today's urban sprawl can easily be summed up by one figure – 75% – which corresponds to the EU's urban population. It is easy to imagine the resulting high level of resources used and the devastating effects on the environment. The solution? Transforming our cities into smart and sustainable innovation hubs by using the latest findings in the fields of energy, transport and information and communication technology (ICT). This is what STARDUST is all about.
Interview with Covenant of Mayors board member Eckart Würzner on the sustainable development of European cities Prof. Dr. Eckart Würzner (photo: @ 2019 Julian Beekmann) One of the major initiatives […]